Friday, April 4, 2014

Easy Vegan Pad Thai Noodles




So, I've tried Pad Thai several times and, I have to say, I've never really found anything that made me crave it or that I absolutely loved. Some of you are probably saying, "You didn't go to the right place!" ... and that may be so. But, I wanted to try to make some pad thai that my family and I loved so that it could be put on our repertoire of recipes.


And ... HERE IT IS! It is wonderful the first night and even better the next day. This will be made at least every other week, if not every week in our home for the foreseeable future.

HERE's WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

  • 1 package Asian rice noodle
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3/8 cup lime juice
  • 4 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/4 + 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 block tofu, cut into blocks
  •  1 medium white onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 10-15 chopped almonds (or nut of choice)
  • 5 green onions, sliced

 HERE's HOW YOU MAKE IT:

  1. Start by putting the tofu in a very hot frying pan. If you have a non-stick pan, that works great. I only have stainless steel pans, so I use cooking spray to make it not stick as much. Leave it sit on each side until it browns. The tofu may break apart a bit, but some of those crunchy bits are my favorite! 
  2. As the tofu is browning, place the sesame oil in. And about three quarters of the way through,  put the onions, peas and garlic in the pan to cook with the tofu.  
  3. As the tofu and veggies are cooking, bring water to a boil and cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions. Drain.
  4. Place the soy sauce, lime juice, peanut butter and sugar into a bowl and whisk well.
  5. Once everything is cooked, place the noodles, tofu mixture and sauce into the same pan and mix well. 
  6. Serve warm with green onions and nuts on top! 
There you go! EASY and so delicious!